Being a landlord comes with many challenges. Organization is a major one, along with finding qualified tenants and collecting rent. There are many ways to complete these tasks, but taking advantage of online software and tools can simplify your life a great deal. Many new landlords don’t realize the immensity of their task and have a number of growing pains early in their career. Rather than learning the ropes as you go, it’s a good idea to be proactive and make things easier on yourself from the start.
Here are a few of the tools we recommend for landlords.
- Online Applications – The application process for finding qualified tenants can be both daunting and time-consuming. How can you give the most amount of access without losing anything, or worrying about a fax or mail never reaching you? Online applications give potential tenants much more accessibility, granting you a wider pool of applicants so you can make the best match for your property.
- Digital Signatures – When you’re accepting online applications and contracts, you need a way for people to sign the document. Many times, a typed name is not legally binding. That’s where digital software comes in handy. There are many types of software that make obtaining signatures on digital documents easier than ever — try DocuSign, SignNow, or HelloSign.
- Performing Inspections – Tired of printing out checklists or forgetting what all needs to be inspected between tenants? Digitize your inspection form! This is an easy way to keep track of the state of the unit both before and after residency. With online storage, you never have to worry about a slip going missing. There are several options for software to make this easier!
- Credit Reports and Background Checks – Screening your tenants for prior rental history, background checks, and credit checks gives you the opportunity to select the best tenants for your property. These reports reveal information about their likelihood to pay regularly and on time, as well as revealing whether they had any issues at past residences. Many are available online.
- Digitized Rent Collection – Eliminate the need to collect checks every month by moving your rent collection online. A central hub allows you to easily receive your payment and decreases the likelihood of late or forgotten payment. This software is convenient for both you and your tenants.
We hope these landlord tips have given you some new tools to consider. In addition to our advice posts, we also offer a number of very helpful screening packages for new and experienced landlords. Depending on your needs and number of rentable units, we may need to perform an on-site inspection to confirm a separate home office, locking file cabinet for properly storing applicants’ report information, and an acceptance of terms of 25-page agreement for service. These packages will offer you all the peace of mind you need, whether you opt for a mini or full credit check for your tenants. For more information, please contact us anytime!
Landlords Property Managers Contact TSCI